Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Banff and Stanley Glacier

The one thing that is definitely missing from the Edmonton skyline is the sight of mountains in the distance. It is the one thing that I've given up and that I miss moving from Calgary to Edmonton.

An adventure to Banff has been on my list all summer and I finally connected with my friends Dave and Amy to come out and visit them. The weather looked like it was going to be  lovely so we made plans for a Saturday afternoon hike after lunch with friends Bonnie and Curtis.
 Still waters in Banff as we go for a walk
We headed down Highway 93 on the way to Radium Hot Springs; Stanley Glacier is located in Kootenay National Park. Years ago I had camped near this trail - a forest fire had ripped through the area in the early 2000s. It still looks stark with grey. dead trees standing at attention.

The hike started off innocently enough - a graveled trail switching back higher and higher amongst the small shrubs, moss and flowers that are transitioning from summer to fall colours. We went from graveled trail to soft marsh-like trail as we a crossed rapidly running creek. The air grew colder as we passed further into the mountains and the trail grew rockier and the climb much steeper.
 Amy and Dave
 Fall colours on the hike
 Into the wild

 I'm betting this creek was glacier fed
Finally we were rewarded with the best view in the house - Stanley Glacier in the distance. We would've kept hiking the trail, wanting to get ever close to the elusive blue ice and snow but we had to admit we were beat and hungry and ready to head home.

What we came to see - Stanley Glacier (to your right)
 Enough time to sit, grab our breath, share an energy bar and head back down
It is always a peaceful experience when I go to the mountains and I thank Dave and Amy again for showing me a new corner of their backyard playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment