Monday, June 14, 2010

Relay for Life 2010

Have you ever pulled an all-nighter? Perhaps while studying for that final exam or madly finishing that 20 page paper that's due at 9 a.m.? Maybe you've stayed up all night partying with your friends or visiting with a loved one.

This past weekend I pulled an all-nighter that was completely foreign to me. I participated in the 12 hour Relay for Life that raises funds and awareness for cancer research. Joining a team lead by one of my favourite researchers and professors with the faculty I work with, I spent Saturday evening into the wee hours of Sunday morning, walking around a track, thinking of the different ways cancer has touched my life.

We had amazing weather for the entire event and I had the pleasure of sharing my walk with some amazing people, some merely participants, some actual survivors, all affected by the disease in some way.

Here are just a few pictures of the team I had the pleasure of participating with this weekend, the campers that set up their little home for the event and the group of survivors being led by bagpipers on their "victory lap" before our evening of walking began. I have been truly touched by the stories I heard on the weekend and feel blessed for the life I have.







No comments:

Post a Comment