Sunday, October 23, 2011

Three cheers for 'real' people

I've been pondering this for quite a while, the concept of what makes a 'real' person. Of course you exist in the physical and lately, online, sense. But there's more to just physically occupying space in the world.

Real people are those genuine souls who are the same person from work to play, from online to face-to-face. People who don't misrepresent who they are and what they like. Folks who know who they are inside and out and embrace it. Someone who says something and you know you can take them (and keep them) at their word.

I spent quite a few years growing up and then in certain relationships trying to be what I thought the other person wanted from me and I realized that inevitably I always end up unhappy. So a few years ago I decided to just be ME and love all of the quirks that make me different than others. I've found it's connected me with a lot of people who are like minded as me. Thank you friends for liking me for who I am and for not trying to change me.

So now I ask you: Are you a 'real' person?

6 comments:

  1. YEAH YEAH Andrea! High fives on this. Be who you are, not what someone else wants you to be. I think people go through life miserable because they've been but in a box designed by someone else. Happy that you are a BOX BREAKER and free of being defined!! Be the best and most GENUINE YOU possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miss Andrea

    I have had the pleasure of connection to you via online.
    We first met via twitter and now each others blog.

    I love the soul you portray - I love the very essence of the person you seem to be. I feel I strongly connect to you so much and am sure when we meet in person I/we wouldn't stop nattering for days.
    Laughter - they say that is one of the strongest connections between distance and friends - it can shorten the real life space between one another and extend our hearts further.

    So gosh yes! I so very much feel and believe I am a real person - it is too exhausting to not be.

    A lovely post Andrea and thank you for the words so well written and reminding.

    have a wonderful day real friend x


    loulou, from hereiamloulou blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being real, what does it mean to me?.... living with integrity, setting boundaries to protect and contain myself. Knowing where I stop and someone else starts!!!!!! Giving myself the freedom to make my own choices as well as giving others the freedom to make their choices. We all judge... the question is whether we decide to 'sentence' someone or not, because they are not living according to our rules. Letting this go is living with integrity and living within one's boundaries. I love the concept of 'minding my own business ' too... and not projecting my will onto others. It centres you and gives you peace. "What somebody else thinks of me is none of my business".... that keeps me real. Wonderful post Andrea... a great thing to ponder over my morning coffee today. It is exactly one year today since my whole world fell apart. Your post today has helped me realise how far I have come and how much I have grown. How great is that! Thank you my friend! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are genuine, generous and very, very real my friend. Kudos to you (and all your REAL friends) for living authentic lives. I miss you over the many miles we are apart...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank YOU all friends for reaffirming that I have surrounded myself with amazing real people. Though we may not talk often I do value all of you so much. Just hearing you all share your thoughts with me has buoyed my heart!

    ReplyDelete