Sunday, September 27, 2009

What a game!!!!!

What a weekend I should say first. I've been planning this weekend for months now ~ ever since I saw back in May that the Saskatchewan Roughriders (my football team) would be playing a game against the local Edmonton Eskimos on September 26.

My best friend Blythe flew into Edmonton Friday afternoon, all because of the football game on Saturday. It's amazing but we had quite a few Saskatchewan friends we knew that were traversing from great distances just to watch the game. Some of you may recall that my friend Sarah and I went to the pre-season game between the Esks and Riders and it resulted in a 45-12 whopping, sending us home deflated. Last weekend Edmonton was in Saskatchewan and beat us on our home turf. I was ready for the score to be settled.

Saturday Blythe, Sarah and I got geared up for the game in as much kelly green as we could get our hands on. I even found a pair of faux Converse hi-top sneakers for a steal of a deal to complete my ensemble!
Blythe had found us the best seats ever for the game.....about 11 rows back from the field on the 10 yard line. Great vantage point for a lot of the action. The weather was completely uncooperative with the temperature hovering around +13 degrees with a strong wind. I was majorly under-dressed but as a good fan I decided to grit my teeth and bear it.


In typical fashion Saskatchewan didn't play much of a first half of the game, trailing Edmonton by 5 points, so Sarah, Blythe and I didn't think much of it when we left our seats at half-time to get some beers (biggest mistake ever). We missed the entire 3rd quarter of the football game waiting in the never-ending line for beer (although we did snap some interesting photos with other colourful Saskatchewan fans), but when we made our way back to our seats, somehow we had missed some great plays by the 'Riders and now we were leading the football game. DOH!!





The fourth quarter was a nail-biter but we held on to win the game 23-20! You've never seen a more ecstatic group of Roughrider fans in the sold out crowd of 62,000+ people at the stadium. It was pandemonium in the streets pretty much after that. Revenge was definitely sweet on their home turf!

No comments:

Post a Comment