Monday, August 20, 2012

Village of the Fringed

Fall is in the air in Edmonton. The days are getting shorter, the nights are getting chillier and back to school signs are everywhere.

This city leaves the best for last when it comes to festivals (in my honest opinion). Last Thursday the Fringe Festival kicked off in Edmonton and we've been celebrating near record-breaking temperatures (+34 with the humidity today) along with greasy sweet food, buskers, street operas, plays and all things weird and on the fringe.

I spent the weekend Fringe'ing away with my good friend Leisa - she graduated high school with my sister and we used to hang out together when I lived in Calgary. We had two very full days of plays, street performers, streetcar rides, elephant ears, mini-donuts and all other things to delight the eyes, ears and taste buds.




One of the main characters in this play was my server the other night. A must see!

I'll be Fringe'ing all week as well (I scored tickets to some great plays - thanks @MarlowMoo) and already Leisa and I are scheming how we can either volunteer for the Fringe next year or plan a week of holidays so we can see all the plays we want to.
Buskers beat boxing and rapping

The ladies in yellow in the background have "Free Hugs" shirts on!

BYOV (Bring Your Own Venue) - this was the Holy Trinity Church

Somehow Leisa ended up participating in this show

Our ride downtown was on this streetcar

Our ride back was on this beauty - a 1912 Edmonton original

I never tire of this view

This is probably my favourite time of year. One last kick at summer enjoyment before fall, school work and winter start to close in.

1 comment:

  1. Oh it sounds wonderful! I am envious of your seasons too. Fall sounds so delicious! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete