Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thanksgiving long weekend

I realize that I've been kind of neglectful with my postings lately and for that I apologize. I've started two night classes and that seems to take up a lot of my spare time (including the homework generated from these classes as well).

Anyway, last weekend was Thanksgiving and I packed up Lydia to head home to Saskatchewan for the yearly turkey feast at my parent's place. I stayed overnight with my sister at her adorable house on Friday and then headed home on Saturday. We've had early snow this year (the trees have just started to turn colour and lose their leaves) and I wasn't keen to learn what Lydia's capabilities were. I have taken a couple of snaps of the yard and mom and dad's though, just to show you what it's like.


This is nothing though compared to Thanksgiving 11 years ago when we got over 3 feet of snow and were snowed in/house-bound for the entire weekend!

Our family feast was Saturday night and we shared it with my grandparents, my aunt, and one of the local doctor's wives. We even broke out the fine china for the event. Of course there was a football game on that day and I made sure that I was the best fan I could be from home!



It was such a great evening (as family get-togethers usually are) and a fantastic weekend overall. I never actually get rest when I go home ~ Sassy gets me up early in the morning ~ but usually we don't venture far from home and wearing your pj's the entire day is a given.

This Thanksgiving made me realize just how much has changed for me in the year since we celebrated Thanksgiving in Australia. I'm so thankful to be from Canada and to be home in Saskatchewan this year. I'm increasingly thankful for my loving and supportive family and the wonderful group of friends I have in my life. I couldn't ask for anything more....

2 comments:

  1. Snow!

    Where is the photo with the Riders flag taken? East coast of OZ?

    Canada is a rad place to call home for sure.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snow, you lucky things! Hubby and I were just commiserating the other day about not celebrating Thanksgiving here in Australia. We had a mini thanksgiving dinner, just the 4 of us, when big son came from camp. Sounds like yours was wonderful! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete