Monday, October 26, 2009

Vancouver vacation - Saturday

Saturday the rain granted us a reprieve so Kelly decided it was a great time to show me more of Vancouver. We drove back from the States to Kitsilano. Kelly's roommate grabbed her motorbike, Kelly and I grabbed some take-out sushi and the three of us headed to Cypress Mountain, just on the outskirts of Vancouver.

The weather was gorgeous so we just sat on a park bench at a lookout area, ate our sushi and absorbed the sunshine and the view!






From Cypress Mountain we made our way back towards Vancouver and legendary Stanley Park, home to some of the oldest "monument trees" in Canada. I couldn't resist stopping for a few pictures, and to witness the destruction the forest had faced recently from deadly wind and ice storms.







We left Stanley Park and parted ways with Mel. Kelly and I parked back at home and walked from Kitsilano down to Granville Island in the heart of Vancouver, to take in the famous Granville market.





With drinks in hand we found another park bench, soaked up more sunshine, and watched the bustle of the market while a dapper old man in a tuxedo sang French love songs. We even found where the Swiss will call home during the 2010 Winter Olympics! I finally felt this time like I had a taste, a feel for what Vancouver had to offer. I think I'm hooked!





Finally that night Kelly, Mel and I got dressed up and went on a mission to discover Vancouver by night. We did our best and were not disappointed ~ we hit 5 different bars that night and finally stumbled home in the wee hours of the morning. It was a fantastic vacation and I want to say a big thank you to Mel and Kelly for the hospitality (sorry I missed you Maude and Squamish Dude, you're next on my list).


No comments:

Post a Comment