Saturday, April 24, 2010

Over Canada

I just spent the last hour getting re-acquainted with a DVD my friend Dave had given me upon my return from Australia. The DVD is called Over Canada and I've found a trailer for it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=refmdRuvZY8.

This visual spectacle was shot by helicopter across Canada in 1999 and revealed to Canadians on New Year's Day 2000 as a celebration as we entered the new millenium. I remember how taken I was with the footage as the helicopter covered Canada, north to south, east to west.

In August of 2000 as I was about to depart to Taiwan to begin my life as an English teacher my Auntie Wanda gave me a VHS copy of Over Canada to take with me - so I would never be homesick. If she only knew how many times I would play this video tape over and over again, watching it with fellow ex-pat friends, all of us shedding tears over the homes we had left behind.

When I was moving to Australia I wanted to find a copy on DVD so I could have that piece of home with me while I traveled. Sadly I couldn't find a DVD copy before we left and for the 9 months we were abroad, I missed out watching it with Australian friends.

Many thanks to Dave who hunted high and low for those 9 months, finally discovering a used copy at a record store. I will treasure this forever. I hope you all enjoy the trailer as much as I enjoy the entire hour of footage each time I watch it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, a must see. Will watch it today! Should I show it to hubby? He might need oxygen.. he loves your country and is constantly scheming on how he can move us there! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH!!! I totally want to see this video - ever since you told me about showing it to the kids in Korea I have wanted to.
    Ok, next trip to Edmonton - OR your excuse to come to the 'Hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea darling, I will send you one. Email me your address.. I would not know where to start to locate it again! A-M xx

    ReplyDelete