Thursday, May 3, 2012

Relationship broker

In Chapter 5 of Charles Kadushin's book, he begins to analyze some of the psychological foundations upon which social networks are built and maintained. As he begins to analyze the depth to which social networks run, Kadushin references, Boissevain who wrote a book called Friends of Friends.

Boissevain mentions at one point how within social networks there are highly specialized at the social network process and he named them "brokers" (Kadushin, 57). These brokers help manage the connections between networks for some sort of profit - but not the monetary kind.

It makes me think of the connections I've made over my lifetime, through the different hats I've worn professionally. Some of these connections have stayed professional, some are more close to me. But all have come in handy at some point in time. Have you ever had someone ask if you could put them in touch with another group they know you have connections to? It's a heady feeling.

More than just a heady feeling, social networks fulfill two needs according to Kadushin: 1) to feel safe; and 2) to reach out (Kadushin, 56). Rationalized as almost an inherent function in humans from birth (we are programmed to feel safe and reach out to our mothers in infancy), I find the reasons that I seek out others is because growing up I had very few friends, at least until I was a teenager. If anything the experience has helped me appreciate the relationships and connections that I do have that much more.

Image courtesy of carloszardoya's Flikr account

2 comments:

  1. The social drives the structure! Thanks Andrea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And never has that been more apparent then over the last two years getting to know you fine folks at MACT! Thanks Carolyn :)

    ReplyDelete